Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, September 2, 2010

she knits

I learned how to knit about a year ago.  My brain, for whatever reason, doesn't like to let me sit and do one thing at at home...just watch tv or a movie?  Nope!  Just talk to family and friends on the phone?  Nope!  So a friend of mine suggested knitting as a way to occupy my brain in a productive (literally and figuratively!) way.  She taught me how to cast on and do a knit stitch and then I ran with it and taught myself the rest.  

I've read a bunch of introductory books on knitting since I started but I've found the following two most helpful...
 

Stitch n' Bitch is just a fantastic, easy-to-read introduction to knitting and really has almost everything you'll need to know to get started.  The Knitter's Companion is a travel-sized collection of all different types of techniques...really helpful.  The other thing I STILL do all the time is search YouTube for video demonstrations on how to do certain stitches, etc.  Being able to see what you're supposed to do before you do it is extremely helpful.

If you're interested in knitting, all I can say is GO FOR IT.  It is very rewarding and, I promise, not difficult to learn!  One great thing about it is that there are sooooo many projects you can complete once you learn just a few basics.  Definitely check out Ravelry, for endless numbers of patterns (lots of them free!) as well as forums where you can get answers to almost any knitting/crocheting question under the sun. 

Right now I'm working on an the Cromwell Court Afghan for my friend Michelle as a Christmas present...here's hoping I finish it in time!  At the moment it only looks like this...

 

Happy (almost) Long Weekend!

1 comment:

Christen E. Krumm said...

hey! thanks for stopping by my blog!! aren't momiji just the best?!

i've always always wanted to learn to knit! haha!!

xo,
christen

Post a Comment